Thirteen months after Henry entered the world, and I'm finally getting some time to get back to this.
If you're like me and haven't had this luxury in a good long while, or perhaps you've never taken the time to spend quality time with yourself (I'm not talking about Netflix binges or internet stalking sessions, I mean quality time!), here is a great list of activities to do... With YOU!
1) Read a book. I just stated Wild by Cheryl Strayed and highly recommend it, even if you've seen the movie (which was also great). Get an actual book, not a magazine, newspaper or other internet reads - these are all written at the 4th-8th grade level. When you pick up a book, you'll be amazed at how much more invigorated your brain becomes! You'll start to think more critically and use vocabulary you haven't even thought of since your college days.
2) Spend some time outside. Without headphones/ear buds! Go for a walk and listen to the birds, sit by a lake like I did and people watch, soak up some vitamin D in your back yard as you listen to the wind in the trees. Unplug from technology and replug into nature, even for 15 minutes. Think I'm a peace-pipe-smoking-hippie? Try it and watch your mood improve.
3) Take a bath. No, not a shower. A bath. That you can sit in. Sit back and relax all your muscles. Take deep breaths. Try to quiet your mind and focus on relaxing, letting all thoughts go. I love to add a good aromatherapy bath salt. When I'm not pregnant, I take a glass of red wine in with me (I recommend stem-less glasses). Light candles if it will help you to relax. This is a great way to end a day!
4) Get a hobby. I'm not talking learning to build model cars from scratch or inventing your own drone technology. Think something simple that you can pick up and put down at your own speed. Jaelan loves to paint. My sister loves to knit. I really enjoy cooking. Adult coloring books have made a massive splash in recent weeks. Find something you enjoy doing or experiment with different things until you find a passion!
|An Uncomplicated Life Blog recipes|
5) Journal. This one is huge! It can be a basic notebook or you can get something fancy that inspires you to write regularly. Don't know what to write? Talk about what happened that day and how it made you feel. Write about what makes you happy. Write about what makes you sad. Getting thoughts and emotions out on paper not only helps us to process them, but also helps in getting us to think about them less, so we can move on in life and enjoy the present!
What do you do in your spare time? Do you MAKE time for yourself?