Meeting your friend's new baby? Bring her these items for gifts she'll actually want!
So your girlfriend just had a baby and is finally ready for visitors! (Unless your family or she asked you, I'd recommend NOT going to see her in the hospital - it's such a quick and chaotic stay, visitors only complicate it.) Great! Now what do you bring her? Please, no more baby items. Bring her something for HER. At a loss for something other than flowers? Here are a few things she'll actually want that you might not have thought about, from a woman who's given birth twice *affiliate links used*:
- Infant gas drops and gripe water. Sure, this is actually for the baby - as in, he or she will be the one consuming it. But these are LIFELINES for the new mom. If the baby is fussing for no reason, gripe water comes into action. I use the gas drops after almost every feeding with Otto to keep him from being super mad about any gas he might develop. And a happy, calm baby = happy calm mommy.
- A hot cup of coffee (ask if she wants it decaf!) and breakfast from her favorite coffee shop. You know what's really hard to do when you're nursing an infant? Making yourself food. And I haven't had a hot cup of coffee since Otto was born. Find out what she wants and pick something up before heading over to her house, then hold her baby while she eats and drinks it. Trust me. She'll love you.
- A GOOD bottle of champagne. Your friend has been in forced sobriety for the past nine months. Don't be cheap and bring over a bottle of Cooks. Get a good one! Even if she's nursing, one glass (or two) won't hurt her. Even better if you're visiting her in the morning - she likely had a rough night and is ready for some bubbly by 9am!
- Baby-friendly laundry detergent. Yes, laundry detergent. Make sure it's baby-friendly (scent free, chemical free, etc). Then, do a load or several of her laundry. Ask her if she wants the baby items separate from her clothes (when I was a first time mom I separated mine... Now as a second time mom aint nobody got time fo dat) and if there's any special instructions. You'll be her favorite person if you stay and fold it, too, then put it away for her. Let her nap while you do this.
- Bath salts. Pickup a big bag of bath salts and bring them to her. Then insist she go relax in the tub (perhaps with a glass of champagne! That's how I'd roll) while you watch the baby. Give her a little advance notice so she can pump/prepare a bottle for you if need be! Don't disturb her. Just let her soak while you soak up some baby time.
Flowers are nice, but they go brown quickly and then your poor new mom friend just has another mess to clean up after. Instead, get your new mom friend something she'll actually want! These items are a great place to start. Be sure to follow the directions listed and watch that baby for her while she enjoys what you brought her!